ATML Pad Plugins
ATML Pad has the ability to translate data between the formats that are supported natively (ATML and
eXpressML) and other data formats.
This capability is extensible, with new data formats being continuously added.
Extensibility is achieved through a modular architecture, where data
translation can be implemented in separate plug-in modules:
The main characteristics of plugins are :
- Consist, as a minimum, of a binary DLL file. In some cases the operation or utilization of plugins is supported by "ancillary files", such as
XML Schemas, language grammars, document templates, SysML profiles, etc.
- Can be distributed with ATML Pad or separately from ATML Pad. They are installed by simply copying the binary files in a directory known to ATML Pad.
- Can be licensed through ATML Pad, licensed separately from ATML Pad, or left unlicensed.
Development of Custom Plugins
Custom plugins are used to integrate additional data formats, not supported
by ATML Pad out-of-the-box.
Reston Software provides state-of-the-art, U.S.-based software development services for developing custom ATML Pad plugins.
To accommodate different user requirements regarding IP
protection, we offer offer several solutions, depending on the end user’s needs to (1) restrict the use of a plug-in and (2) restrict access to the plug-in source or binary code and to ancillary files:
Solution 1: Restricted Licensing
Reston Software develops plug-in, owns the source code and the binary and handles distribution and licensing.
- Plug-in and ancillary files are added to the general ATML Pad distribution
- Plug-in use is controlled through ATML Pad licensing (*).
- Reston Software issues licenses only under the direction of the user. This restriction can be maintained in perpetuity, or for a limited time.
- Plug-in source code can be maintained in escrow.
- Plug-in binary code can be obfuscated to better protect it from reverse engineering (**).
- Ancillary files are accessible to all users.
(*) Due to the limitation of the underlying technology, Reston Software cannot guarantee that licensing will not be circumvented by third parties.
(**) Due to the limitation of the underlying technology, Reston Software cannot guarantee that the binary code will not be successfully reverse engineered by third parties.
Solution 2: User-Owned Plugin
Reston Software develops the plug-in. The end-user owns the source code and the binary and handles distribution.
- Plug-in code and ancillary files are physically separate from the ATML Pad distribution.
- Plug-in use is not controlled by ATML Pad licensing. Reston Software can implement support for user-controlled licensing, if desired.
- Reston Software can also maintain the code, for a yearly maintenance fee.
Solution 3: User-Developed Plugin
The end-user develops the plug-in, owns the source code and the binary, and handles distribution.
- The plugin code is physically separate from the ATML Pad distribution and inaccessible to Reston Software.
- The plugin's use is not controlled by ATML Pad licensing. The
end user can implement proprietary licensing if desired.
- The ATML Pad software simplifies the development of plugins by providing a programmatic API.
- Reston Software can provide training and consulting.
Please contact us through the Support Request form to discuss the
development of custom plugins, training, or consulting services.